Sunday, June 29, 2014

The chickens

The chickens are laying!  We found 2 eggs in the nesting box yesterday!  Boy was I surprised. I knew it was coming soon. But the fact that it finally happened and that they even layed in the nest were both huge surprises.

We bought and stacked about 2 1/2 tons of alfalfa this past week and also purchased most of the wood we will need for the next few years winters.  We bought 3 cords of lodgepole and 4 cords of juniper. 

We've found that burning a combination of hard and softer woods makes our fires just right. 

We still will need to rent a log splitter since the lodgepole is still in rounds. 

Most of this work was done by Milton with some help from the girls.

The golden raspberries are on right now. I picked 3 quarts on Thursday.  The boys have been wolfing them down. They love to be next to me while I'm picking because I let them eat as many as they want. If I was making jam it would be another story. But right now I'm just trying to keep up with the berries.

I'm starting to rethink my canterbury bells. They are just to tall and need support and don't look very nice in the front flower bed I put them in.  While the Malva behind them look gorgeous and are standing up tall and nice.  

I'm thinking about pulling them out.  And that makes me sad since they are biennials and I started the seeds last year.  So this is the second year I've had these plants and i'm sad I don't love them.  I think they would look better in a pot.  With more support. 

Did I mention I have more in the garden for next year? Not sure what I'm going to do with them now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment